The legacy of Hannibal Regional began 115 years ago when a bank president and his wife saw the need for a hospital in Hannibal and answered that need.
At the turn of the 20th century, there was no hospital to serve citizens of northeast Missouri.
The sick were cared for in their home, and most surgeries were performed either in the home or in the doctor’s office.
In 1901, Aaron R. Levering, president of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hannibal, and his wife, Eleanor M. Levering, recognized the need for a hospital to serve the community.
They dedicated land and donated funds for the construction of a hospital in Hannibal, which was named Levering Hospital.
When Levering Hospital opened on Feb. 2, 1903, it had 26 patient beds.
Throughout its history, Levering Hospital received the support of many other contributors in the form of time, talent and funds.
Over the years, citizens, religious and civil organizations, and the Levering Hospital Auxiliary gave their energy and money to the hospital, truly making it a “community partnership,” according to information from Hannibal Regional.
A few years later, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was organized and founded by the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville, Mo. The Reverend Mother, M. Augustine, founder of the Sisters of St. Francis, was also the founder of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital.
The land for the hospital was purchased in the fall of 1913, and the hospital, located on Virginia Street with 35 patient beds, was completed and received its first patients in the summer of 1915.
Eight young, energetic nursing sisters were sent to Hannibal to operate the hospital. These sisters, with the help of some local citizens, readied the newly constructed hospital to serve the community, according to Hannibal Regional.
In July 1987, after many months of discussion and planning, the board of directors for both Levering Hospital and St. Elizabeth Hospital entered into an affiliation agreement to explore the consolidation of both hospitals.
In 1988, the two facilities merged, forming Hannibal Regional Hospital.
Hannibal Regional also noted that more than a century later, the hosptial continues the “commitment to being the leader in healthcare, furthering their mission of guiding the community to better health and shaping the future of healthcare for its residents”.
In addition to celebrating the legacy as an independent provider of health care for the past 115 years, in March Hannibal Regional will celebrate its 25th anniversary at their current location.
Expanding beyond hospital services, Hannibal Regional now has over 1,200 team members serving 12 counties, offices located in 11 communities, 85 providers and 21 specialties, HR added