If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
by Mark Cheffey
An early Sunday-morning fire destroyed a Palmyra home.
Palmyra Fire Chief Gary Crane said his department was called to the scene at 811 N. Dickerson at 12:30 a.m., but by then it was too late to save the structure.
“It was fully engulfed by the time we got there,” said Crane, who indicated the fire was called in by a neighbor, who happened to be outside at the time, heard a popping sound and went around the corner to see the house in flames.
The home was owned by Shad and Danielle King, who were away on vacation at the time.
Crane said his crew battled the blaze well into the morning, and were focused on keeping it from spreading to neighboring properties.
“It was a tough one,” said Crane, who noted he had enough personnel and equipment available and did not have to seek mutual aid.
“We all needed a nap after this one,” Crane said.
Of particular concern was the fact that the fire was under the electrical feed into the city, raising the potential the blaze could cut off electricity to the entire city.
“That was a big worry,” Crane said.
Meanwhile, his crew was unable to enter the house, and concentrated on cutting holes in the walls of the structure to allow ways to spray water inside.
Firemen were able to contain the fire with only minor damage sustained by a neighboring home.
A car and truck were lost in the fire.